Vincent J. Wassman, 94, of Hoboken passed away on October 10, 2019.
Born to John Wassman and Marie DeFranco on April 1, 1925, Vincent was a life-long icon in Hoboken. Answering the call to service, Vincent enlisted in the US Coast Guard during WWII and re-enlisted in the US Army during the Korean War. Building a family with his dearly beloved wife Nona Rimmer, the pair were blessed with children and grandchildren as they shared over 45 years together. Of the many proud accomplishments and accolades Vincent received, some of the most meaningful to him were his work with Hoboken’s American Legion Post #107 as Post Commander, his time as Exalted Ruler of the Hoboken Elks, Lodge #74, and as Drum Major with the Staten Island Pipe Band. In his free time, Vincent loved to take trips down the shore, especially to Atlantic City and shared a love of cruises with his wife.
Vincent’s additional service and honors include:
- Past Chief of Cohota Tribe 229, Improved Order of Redmen
President Theodore Roosevelt, Charter Member
- Past Commander of the Catholic War Veterans Pope Pius Post 1818
- Member of the Knights of Columbus 159, Fourth Degree
- Aid to Mayor Grogan
- Past President and Trustee of Hoboken Industrial School
- Member of the Holy Name Society of Sts. Peter and Paul Church
- Chairman of Hoboken’s Bicentennial Celebration (1976)
- Honorary Irishman of the Year 1990
- Received the Key to the City of Hoboken from Mayor Pasculli (1991)
- Commissioner on the Hoboken Historic Preservation Board
- Trustee of Hoboken Historic Museum
- Received Hoboken Heritage Award (1999)
- Received Distinguished Service Medal from the State of New Jersey (2000)
- Hoboken Senior Citizen of the Year (2013)
Vincent rejoins his beloved wife, parents, and his brother John in the hearts of his family. Vincent’s memory will be cherished by his loving children, John Wassman, Mary Ann Soto, Barbara Madorma, Thomas Wassman, and Susan Cruz, his dear grandchildren, John Jr. and Alexandra Wassman, Chris Soto, Vincent and Lauren Madorma, Thomas Jr. and Cecilia Wassman, Reanna and Antonio Cruz, and Ariel Pascual, and many dear friends.
Visitation for Vincent will be held on Sunday October 13th from 2:00-6:00 PM and Monday October 14th from 2:00-6:00 PM at Lawton-Turso Funeral Home in Hoboken (Corner of Washington and Seventh Streets, parking on Seventh). A Funeral Mass will be offered on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at Sts Peter and Paul Church in Hoboken (Fourth and Hudson Street) at 10:00 AM. Burial will follow at Holy Cross Cemetery in North Arlington.
In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the American Legion Post 107, Attn: Building Fund – P.O. Box 906 Hoboken, NJ 07030 and the Hoboken Elks, Lodge #74 Attn: Special Needs Children’s Fund.